Thursday, November 9, 2017

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Review

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)Title: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Author: J.K. Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #6
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Reread: 10/9/17

This review contains unmarked spoilers


Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is the 6th book in the Harry Potter series and I did really enjoy it.

Like my other 5 reviews this review will be all over the place.

My favourite scene or part of the book is when Harry, Hermione, and Ron enter Fred and George's new Joke shop. I just love it that the twins are doing what they love for a living and can help support the family. I am not surprised though that a lot of their products are banned from the school. I mean they are masters at sneaking it into the school so I honestly feel like banning the items does nothing.

In this book we are reintroduced to Fleur which the Ginny calls Phlegm. Mrs. Weasley and the Weasley's (except Bill) don't like Fleur. Fleur of course is engaged to Bill. I honestly don't think Mrs. Weasly is very happy about that. At least she didn't dump him at the end of the book when he was attacked my Fenrir Greyback and it shows that she does care about him.

Hogwarts hires a "new" potions master Slughorn. I honestly don't like Slughorn that much. Personally my least favourite teachers are always the teachers that have obvious favourites. Sughorn clearly does having the Slug Club. Hermione and Harry are in it and Ron sadly isn't. I feel like a lot of his favourites also has to do with the act that he knows their parents and the parents were one of his favourite students. Harry's mom was one of Slughorn's favourites as he keeps telling Harry that he is a natural at potions like his mother.

Speaking of potions Snape now teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts. Harry's favourite subject is now being taught by one of his least favourite teachers. There is one scene I love that takes place during Defense Against the Dark Arts. That is when Harry tells Snape there is no need to call him sir.

Back to potions. Harry is using a potions book that use to belong to the Half Blood Prince. This Prince has changed some of the instruction on potion making making Harry a prodigy in Potions. He has also written many useful and some dangerous spells. The dangerous being that one spell that Harry used on Draco. When trying to figure out who the Prince is we can tell that the Princeis wicked smart and is found of Potions and the Dark Arts. Snape who is the Half Blood Prince is both good at Potions and the Dark Arts and it makes perfect sense.

Harry in this book is obsessed with what Malfoy is doing. He even sends Kreacher and Dobby to follow Draco. Of course he manages to figure out what is going on and that Malfoy is using the room of requirements. I love that Crabbe and Goyle are the lookouts for Malfoy and take polyjuice potion. That is such a clever idea. One thing I always wonder is who Crabbe and Goyle are transforming into. I mean did they just pluck a hair of a muggle girl walking in the street and have a stash of them or did they take them from students?

Malfoy was fixing a vanishing cabinet and I will admit he is smarter than we thought. In this book we see an entirely different side of him. He is of course stressed out that Voldemort will kill his family if he doesn't kill Voldemort. He used a necklace which unfortunately fell into the hands o Katie Bell and a poison that has found its way to Ron Weasley.

Katie has been in the hospital for a long time and this is the first time I realize how long she has been in there.

Harry is Quidditch Captain in this book. I will admit I am glad Hermione used a charm to confund McLaggen. I hate that guy. He played Keeper in one game and it was a disaster. He kept telling people what to do and Harry of course being captain was very annoyed that McLaggen wasn't doing his job. I mean he hit a buldger at Harry's head and they lost the game. McLaggen shouldn't even be touching the Buldgers. He is a keeper he should be stopping Quaffles from getting into the hoops. Thank God Ron recovered and was able to play the next game.

Hermione starts to have feelings for Ron and it is very obvious when reading. Her always being upset when Lavender was around and sending those bird things at Ron. Both her and Ron have those little cure moments together that I really love. While Ron was with Lavender I honestly think Lavender slipped Ron a love potion because after he took the antidote he kind of stopped having feelings for her.

Harry is taking private lessons with Dumbledore in order to understand Voldemort's past. Harry of course learns about Horcruxes and that a person cannot truly die unless they are destroyed. Harry also manages to learn that Slughorn was the one to tell Riddle how to make a Horcrux. Well sort of as he didn't give a lot of detail and just said that a person had to kill another in order to create it which of course was enough information for Riddle.

At the end of the book Dumbledore dies and Snape is the one to kill him. The first time reading it I was like what!? I hated Snape so much at that moment but eventually I can to be neutral about him. I mean I hated the way he treated Harry but he did have a very difficult job.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and Highly recommend this series!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment