Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Shadow Queen (Spoiler Free Review)

The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)Title: The Shadow Queen
Author: C.J. Redwine
Series: Ravenspire #1
My rating: 2.5/5 stars
Date Read: 1/9/17


The Shadow Queen by C.J Redwine is a retelling of Snow White. I will say that I did not hate it. I enjoyed some parts of it however it did not stand out in any way and I had a few problems with it.

This book follows a girl name Lorelai and she is a fugitive who is trying to claim the throne that is rightfully hers. The Evil queen has currently sits on the throne and has killed her father. In order to succeed, she must master a weapon that they both have in common which is magic. See tropes.

The Shadow Queen is not the most original book in the world. Person tries to get back throne and is one of the special people who has magic. Also Instalove. I did not care for the romance one bit, but I did understand that it was a retelling of Snow White and it did need a romance element in the story in order for it be follow among the lines of the story.

I wish we got more of Irina's perspective in the book. Yes we did see what she was thinking here and there throughout the story but I wanted more. I found her story line more interesting than the other two characters. The other one being Kol, newly King of a neighboring kingdom and need help defeating ogres also known as huntsman/prince.

Here is the part that bothered me the most. This book reminded me to much of the TV show Once Upon A Time (at least the early seasons) because of something that the evil queen does.

There were some interesting parts of the story despite the negatives. Some people can shape shift into dragons. I mean that is cool and definitely was one of my favourite elements in the story.

Overall the Shadow Queen was another generic fantasy retelling but I did like it but I know that those people who hate generic fantasies that are predictable will probably not like this. Yes I did predict a lot of things that happened in this book but I always try to predict things that happen in books. It is a bad habit. This book is hard to recommend but if you want to give it a shot I would say go for it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment